I like dough. I actually love dough. Dough makes delicious things like pizza and cookies and cakes and… *sigh*… pasta. Aaaaah… lalalalalalalove the pastaaaaaaaa!
Dough is so soft and cute and pillowy and comforting and welcoming… what can be so bad?? Well… it’s kinda like that jerk you dated in high school – all adorable and sweet on the surface, but, after hanging out with him for a while, your insides are bound to get all tangled up and start a-hurtin’! As much as I love dough… it doesn’t always love me. You know what I’m sayin’.
It’s no secret that I’m always on the lookout for healthier versions of my favorite foods, and when I saw this recipe for mini pizzas with crusts made from – wait for it – cauliflower (!!!!), I was so excited! And I just can’t hide it! Do re mi fa so la te… cauliflower?! Let’s sing from a mountaintop, people! I found this recipe on www.tablespoon.com. That site gets a tra la la, too…
Introducing… Mini Cauliflower Pizza Crusts!
- 1 large head cauliflower (about 4 cups shredded)
- 2 large eggs
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder (I substitued fresh – 2 cloves)
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- 12 fresh basil leaves
- 1 tomato, sliced into 12 rounds
- 1/4 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- Using a box grater or a food processor, shred cauliflower into crumbles. Reserve 4 cups; store the remainder in the fridge or freezer for future pizzas.
- Cook cauliflower in microwave in a large microwave-safe bowl for 8 minutes. Allow to cool 10 minutes.
- Add eggs, 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, oregano, basil and garlic and stir to combine. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Lightly grease 2 baking sheets (or pizza pans); divide mixture into 12 balls. Place balls on sheets and pat each into a thin round about 4 inches wide. Bake in oven 15 minutes until golden brown (the edges might be charred; this is OK).
- Remove sheets from oven and heat broiler. Top each mini crust with pizza sauce, basil leaves, remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses and tomato slices.
- Broil pizzas until cheese is melted and tomatoes are slightly roasted, about 5 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool 5 minutes before serving.
They were a huge hit! Totally delicious! And kid-friendly, too… just ask Tully!
I have to admit that, after making this first batch, I will look for a way to make these a liiiiiiiittle healthier… maybe use Daiya instead of cows’ milk cheese? Or something to replace about half the cheese? Dunno. But you know that I’ll keep you posted and share my findings! 🙂 How would YOU make this recipe a little healthier??
Well, it’s a half day for me today, and I hope it’s the same for you… or that you have the day off! Make some fun mini cauliflower pizzas! Have a haphaphappy July 4th, people! I salute you!